1. Home
  2. Home Insurance

April 1, 2024

You have decided to take a vacation, and you’re going to be away for an extended period. As a renter, you have questions about whether you need to inform your landlord about leaving and what other responsibilities you might have. Here is what you need to know before you head out on your adventure.  

Leaving for a weekend 

If you are just going away for the weekend, or a few days, then you do not have any additional duties like notifying your insurance or your landlord (unless they have otherwise specified in your rental agreement).  

However, you should always make sure the doors are locked, lights are off, no water is running, and windows are shut and locked before you leave for the weekend. These are generally good practices when leaving the house as well for safety.  

Leaving for a few weeks, or even a month 

While you are not legally obligated to tell your landlord when you’re leaving (unless your lease states you must), it might be a good idea to do so. This way they know you aren’t home so if something happens (like water leaking) they are better prepared to handle it.  

It may also be a good idea to have a trusted friend or family member stop by your place every few days to check the mail and maybe make sure everything looks ok in the house or apartment.  

Now when it comes to insurance you will want to check your policy. Different renter’s insurance policies will have different requirements for notifying the insurance company that you are going to be away from your home for an extended period.  

You will want to have a conversation with your insurance broker to see what the best practice is and how you need to notify them of your next vacation.  

Do you need home security? 

Many people have some form of home security – even if just for their peace of mind. Some of these systems are unmonitored, meaning you cannot see what’s going on in your home when are not there.  

If you have the option to get a monitored home security system, this can be really helpful while you’re away. Many of them include cameras, sometimes even recording abilities, so you will be able to see what’s going on in your home.  

Having the recording can be helpful should something happen. This way you have the recording inside your home for insurance or dealing with your landlord to show what happened.  

Further, you may be able to receive a discount on your renter’s insurance if you have a home security system.  

Overall, you do not need to tell your landlord you’re going away on a vacation, but it could be a good idea to if you are going to be gone for an extended time.  

In order to maintain your renter’s insurance, though, you will probably need to tell your broker that you are going away for an extended time.  

Contact ICD Insurance today 

Do you have sufficient coverage for your belongings in the form of renter’s insurance? To make sure that you have the coverage you need, call us today to speak to a broker.